Last Thursday was Essley’s first day of preschool. She’s in the same school as last year, but this year she’s in the “threes” class, where they go for an hour longer, the class size is larger, and there is more learning incorporated into the play. Tomorrow is her second day (she goes twice a week), and let me tell you – she can’t wait to get out the door and get to school, like, immediately. She loved going last year too, but you can clearly see a marked increase in her desire to be even more independent now. The fact that she’s grown so much mentally and emotionally in just the three months since she ended the “twos” class got me thinking about ways I could somehow record these changes. We just have a simple chalkboard that we use for the first day of school (as seen above), but I love the signs that people use where they write down their child’s favorite color, future career choice, etc. So I decided to put together a little “interview” for Essley, where I can ask her some fun questions about her life right now, and revisit at the end of the school year next May to see how her answers have evolved. Some of her responses were so funny, and others were really endearing. And I thought I’d share the questions (and her answers, because hey, she’s my kid and I think she’s amazing) here, in case any of you wanted to interview your preschoolers or grade schoolers as well. (I’d love to hear some of their replies if you do ask them!)
1. What is your name? Essley.
2. What grade are you in? Threes Preschool.
3. How old are you? 3. No 3 and half! I’ll be 4 in December. That’s so old.
4. What is your favorite color? Pink.
5. What is your favorite thing to do at school? Play with play dough and in the kitchen.
6. What is your favorite activity outside of school? Ballet, gymnastics, soccer, all the things.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up? A ballerina.
8. What is your favorite food? Pizza.
9. How old is your mommy? 4
10. What is her job? A blog post.
11. What is mommy’s favorite food? Olives. Salad. Beer.
12. How old is your daddy? 4
13. What is his job? At concerts, he sings the songs. (He’s a Stage Manager.)
14. What is daddy’s favorite food? That’s a big list. Pizza.
15. What do mommy and daddy like to do? Go on a date, but they came home because I threw up.
16. If you have brothers or sisters, what are their names? Emmett. I call him partner.
17. How old is your brother(s) (and/or sisters)? 4. No 1. He wears diapers.
18. What is your brother(s) (and/or sisters) favorite food? Little pieces of pizza.
19. What is your favorite toy? Only. (A pink stuffed owl.)
20. Where do you live? Here.
21. What is your favorite place you’ve ever been? School, and also California and the grocery store.
22. What is your favorite thing to do? Go to the park and IKEA.
23. Who is your best friend? Madison and Livy and my brother but he’s cranky when he needs a nap.
24. What is your favorite animal? Owls, dogs, monkeys, dogs, all the animals.
25. If you could have anything you wished for, what would it be? To go to work again with daddy. No wait an ice cream cone. And a crystal. In my eyes so everything looks crystal-y.
Have you noticed big changes in your kids from the end of the last school year to now?