24 hours of driving to get him but he seemed just as happy with us and we were with him. Meet Zeus! A sweet sleepy Bull Terrier pup!
After writing a blog for half a decade now, you’d think that the transition from blog to book would be effortless; and if not that, at least somewhat intuitive. You’d be wrong. It’s kind of like saying, hey, I walk my dog every day, I’m totally up for a triathlon.
Some of you have asked how it’s going or what it’s like. It’s not easy, but really, what good things in life are? I’m enjoying the process immensely. I’m Ralph Macchio currently getting edited by my very own Pat Morita. We are on our way! The first draft of (who knows how many versions of) All Dogs Go to Kevin is complete, and I’ve learned a lot along the way.
How to write a blog:
1. Get a WordPress account.
2. Write something.
3. Edit (optional)
5. Repeat for 5 years or so.
How to write a book (Option 1):
1. Adopt a funny looking animal.
2. Join reddit.
How to write a book (Option 2):
1. Write a blog (optional but strongly recommended)
2. Write some stuff. Show it to an agent.
3. Trash what you wrote in Step 2. Repeat step 2 and 3, eight times.
4. Take a break and wallow in despair at your crummy writing skills.
5. Write some better stuff. Now you have a proposal. Agent shows it to a publisher.
6. Don’t forget to blog about steps 1-5
7. Publisher gives you a contract longer than your actual proposal, plus a deadline for an actual book consisting of a whole lot more words than you’ve ever strung together in your life.
8. Write some stuff. Show it to no one.
9. Write some more stuff. Panic a little. Read, a lot.
10. Attempt to edit, get paralyzed with inability to see beyond current sentence. Decide entire thing is a steaming pile of garbage but now it’s too late to turn back and all you have is a deadline and some roadkill.
11. Hand manuscript to editor with the same apologetic smile you use when you give a dirty diaper to the flight attendant.
12. Wait, breathlessly. Blog a little. Wallow some more in the certitude you are no Maya Angelou, no Stephen King, no Harper Lee.
13. Pick up 50 Shades of Grey and Snooki’s latest book, then feel better about Number 12. Maybe it’s doable after all.
14. Open up envelope with your first draft manuscript, neatly evaluated by an editor kind enough to use a pencil and not a big red crayon for the comments. You’re the before scene in an 80′s teen flick. All you need is some tough love and a montage to get into shape!
15. ??? That’s as far as I made it as of today. I’ve got one year to fill in the rest and then we can all pretend it was an effortless endeavor.
All that being said, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t deliriously happy. I love every moment of the process.
Sunday will be my very first Mother’s Day as a mama. (Well, to a human anyway; I absolutely considered myself a mother to Bubby dog too.) My mom and I are very close, and this has always been a special day because of that. But there’s something even more magical about it now that I have Essley. I don’t look at Mother’s Day as a holiday focused on buying gifts or materialistic spoiling (although I certainly wouldn’t complain if I was brought breakfast in bed, hint hint) as much as I view it as a day to celebrate the indescribably beautiful relationship between mothers and their children. The bond that I have with Essley – and with my mom as well – is something that is unique to that type of relationship. And I think that is worth celebration.
Recently, I started a Motherhood board on Pinterest. I’d come across so many really lovely images that document the mama/child bond, and I wanted a place to save them all. In honor of Mother’s Day, I thought I’d share some of my favorites with you all. Whether you are a mother (fur babies count too!), a child, or both, I hope that your Mother’s Day is full of the kind of love that these photographs exude.
Check out these Tick images:
Image by jkirkhart35
I had never seen so many ticks on one piece of grass as this. I used a 2.8 105mm macro with a blue background. I used the wand in LR3 to make the single tick stand out a little more. They do not jump, but they sure to wait until you brush up against the grass, and then they hitch a ride if they can.
Image by Visual Artist Frank Bonilla
This is a view of a Deer Tick at night, from above.
Jeffrey Campbell tick wedges <3
Image by Ло
Just the other morning I saw that sugar was in the news, listed as a toxin. The report followed that there was legislation proposed to regulate the amount of sugar in foods. With all the other regulations and laws we have to worry about, why do we have to pick on sugar
The post Obesity, Arthritis, Sore Joints, and Medical Problems appeared first on Dr. Greg's Dog Dish Diet.
This is so sad and yet so helpful that you've laid it out there in black and white. I just hope Oaklander's take note and really push their city council hard. You've been there at the last minute for some fantastic dogs, it hurts the soul to think of all the ones that no one was there to save.
BAD RAP Blog
Demodectic mange or demodex is found in younger dogs and caused by mites. Sarcoptic mange is a little more serious.
He now has a wonderful forever home in the hill village of Sainte Agnes with a friend of mine, Anita. Happily she didn’t have to pay anything like his original price.
I’m not always crazy about all Chihuahuas – so many I’ve met have been endlessly yappy and also aggressive. I suppose they are so small they feel they have to protect themselves. Little Widget isn’t like that at all, he doesn’t bark except when someone arrives and he’s sweet and gentle and loves everyone.
He won me over! Totally adorable.
Little dog Elmo, a Chihuahua Staffy mix outsmarts his big brothers Jess and Buster by stealing their sausages before they know it! Too funny! Watch if you want a good laugh!
The post Little Chihuahua Outsmarts Big Brothers For Treats | Video appeared first on A Place to Love Dogs.
Her Academy Award-winning performances in Boys Don’t Cry and Million Dollar Baby have moved movie audiences to tears, but on May 3rd it was actress Hilary Swank’s real life role as a…
[[ This is a summary only. Click the title for the full post, photos, videos, giveaways, and more! ]]