Last year on Essley’s first day of preschool, I shared a fun “interview” (right here) I put together with questions to ask little ones on their first and last days of school each year. The post received a lot of traffic and was pinned quite a bit on Pinterest, so I shared her responses again on her last day. And now that a new school year has begun, I decided to share once again. (Emmett started preschool for the first time this year too, but he’s still too young to answer the questions. I’m looking forward to giving him the interview at the end of this year though!)
Some of Essley’s responses on this year’s first day were the same as last year’s last day, and some changed quite a bit. It’s endearing and bittersweet to see her growth just through her answers to the questions. I hope to continue to do this for years to come.
1. What is your name? Essley.
2. What grade are you in? Pre-K.
3. How old are you? 4-1/2.
4. What is your favorite color? Pink.
5. What is your favorite thing to do at school? Play with my friends. And learn how to not be bad. (No comment on that one.)
6. What is your favorite activity outside of school? Tap, ballet, gymnastics, soccer, theatre, and swimming lessons. (She answered this question by saying NOT swimming lessons on the last day of last year, so this is a big change!)
7. What do you want to be when you grow up? A dance teacher and an artist.
8. What is your favorite food? Strawberries.
9. How old is your mommy? Old.
10. What is her job? She works a lot on blog posts.
11. What is mommy’s favorite food? Indian food and a lot of smoothies.
12. How old is your daddy? Old. I think 20.
13. What is his job? Stage Manager.
14. What is daddy’s favorite food? Kabobs. He likes cheeseburgers.
15. What do mommy and daddy like to do? Work. (Yikes.)
16. If you have brothers or sisters, what are their names? Emmett. Sometimes I call him Crispy.
17. How old is your brother(s) (and/or sisters)? 2 1/2.
18. What is your brother(s) (and/or sisters) favorite food? Mac and cheese. Also olives.
19. What is your favorite toy? Rosie (doll) and Owly (her favorite owl toy since she was a baby).
20. Where do you live? Somewhere by Chicago.
21. What is your favorite thing to do? Play with my mommy. (Awww. Me too baby girl.)
22. What is your favorite place you’ve ever been? The candy store.
23. Who is your best friend? Mommy and ….. (an endless lists of friends; too many to type.)
24. What is your favorite animal? Tiger.
25. If you could have anything you wished for, what would it be? A bunny for a pet.
And just because I can’t leave out my favorite little dude (even though he didn’t do the interview questions), here is Emmett’s first day pic. (Unlike his sis, who ran in the classroom and never looked back at his age, there were some tears from this guy. But I think he’s doing to do great).
If any of you use these question to interview your preschoolers or grade schoolers, I’d love to hear some of their replies! Oh, and we purchased the chalkboard signs we used for our photos from this awesome Etsy shop.